Talk

Advanced search

Where's cheap to buy plants from?

(9 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Feb-14 15:28:37

Like really, really cheap.

InMySpareTime Sat 22-Feb-14 16:11:44

Pound shop sets of different seeds in one, or Wilkos.

droitwichmummy Sat 22-Feb-14 16:13:10

Poundland are surprisingly good. Wilkinson are cheap too

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:00:38

Of course, poundland! I haven't been to wilkos for ages.

I wish I'd bought bulbs in last years sales sad

dizhin79 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:23:19

check out general garden centres reduced sections too, i love nursing bargains back to life

rhihaf Fri 28-Feb-14 14:04:36

I have just come from Aldi where they have all sorts of lovely roses for £1.89!
I bought 10 :D They also have loads of bulbs for 99p, bedding plants and bits and bobs all really cheap smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:25:32

I've looked around and we can add homebargains & pound stretchers to the list too.

Lidl seem to do plants all the time.

Take cuttings from friends and neighbours and grow them on. I put unwanted plants on free cycle.

ShoeWhore Sun 02-Mar-14 18:53:00

Yes getting cuttings or bits of plants from friends/neighbours is the ultimate in cheap gardening.

We have a local nursery which probably can't compete with the likes of Aldi/pound shops on prices but the quality is great and it's cheaper than a garden centre. There's also a couple of stalls on our local market which are good value.

Some plants self seed a lot so buy one plant and within a year or two you could have lots e.g. alchemilla mollis, grasses. You can also split perennials if you don't mind waiting a bit for them to grow. I've got loads of a particular white geranium that spreads a bit so I keep digging bits up to fill holes in other bits of the garden. Ditto a phlox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now