Talk

Advanced search

Small garden/yard ideas.

(10 Posts)
notso Thu 20-Feb-14 14:35:45

Have finally persuaded DH to do something with our back yard.
We live in a terraced house, we have a thin area at the side of the house, concreted at the moment, we have French doors and a back door onto here,
then we have a path that needs to stay as next door have to access for bins,
Then the yard, badly paved at the moment, fenced, with a shed and an 8 foot trampoline. This bit is probably 20 feet by 20 feet maybe a bit bigger.

dizhin79 Fri 21-Feb-14 01:17:09

it depends entirely on how much sun you get, what you want to look at, how much work you want to do and what you want to get out of it. anything in pots will need watering, digging beds will need paving removed and think about what you will use it for. I.e do u want herbs, fruit, veges to cook with, do you just want a bit of colour, do u want a bbq area?

notso Fri 21-Feb-14 09:39:18

Thanks for replying dizhin79
The yard gets sun (when it's out!) from mid morning onwards. The area near the French doors hardly any, it always seems damp and mossy there as it is sheltered by the two houses.

I would like herbs and colour to start with. Mainly I want a nice space for DC, maybe a bit of grass but I want some paving for my little ones to scoot, and trike on.

I am not very good with containers, I have managed to keep an acer and a rhubarb plant alive but everything else hasn't done so well.

greengoblinofgoo Fri 21-Feb-14 10:52:55

You might find inspiration here:
www.houzz.com/

dizhin79 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:40:37

acers are fab in containers as they're so slow growing, that's probably the best option for you tbh, slow growing minimal maintenance and will deal with shady parts.
If you and your partner aren't gardeners if contact a local landscaper to give you a quote the rhubarb will need to go in the ground soon, they won't last in a pot for too long

dizhin79 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:41:50

also most herbs will do nicely in a bed in the sunniest bit and out of the way of your kiddies scooting zone!

sunbathe Fri 21-Feb-14 11:48:37

How about a small sandpit in the shady zone so littlies don't get burnt in the summer? Add a nice bench and a couple of tall plants in pots, maybe with some impatiens for colour.

TulipsfromAmsterdam Fri 21-Feb-14 12:54:22

We

TulipsfromAmsterdam Fri 21-Feb-14 12:58:58

We have a similar sized yard with poor paving and think we will attempt to lay artificial grass where the children will play. Some nice pot plants and table/seating area and hopefully will be nice and low maintenance.

notso Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:01

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I want to be good at gardening, I am interested know loads of plant names etc but I am too disorganised. I need to work on that I think.

I have no ground for the rhubarb dizhin, FIL gave it to me and is amazed it has survived three years!

I am thinking of putting artificial grass under the trampoline Tulips. Don't really know what else I could do under there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now