Talk

Advanced search

can anyone idenify this please?

(12 Posts)
plum100 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:02:18

This is growing in the corner of my garden - we have only been here a few years but this is the first time I have noticed it. At first I thought it was grass but its a lot thicker. It seems so have a bulb on the end that I have tried to show in the pics. I have left it to grow since last autumn to see if anything flowers on it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you .

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Feb-14 11:05:17

Looks exactly like small lily bulbs

EauRouge Tue 18-Feb-14 12:11:42

I've got a small allium that looks a bit like that. It's similar to grape hyacinth as well but might be too big to be that.

MangoBiscuit Tue 18-Feb-14 12:13:50

The leaves look like grape hyacinth, but the bulb looks too big. I think grape hyacinth has small, slim, smooth white bulbs, and they smell a bit like garlic. (Or it's something else that's slowly taking over my garden!)

EauRouge Tue 18-Feb-14 12:17:14

Yes, you're right, the bulb does look different. Grape hyacinth is smaller which is why it's such a bugger to get rid of angry

plum100 Tue 18-Feb-14 15:10:20

Thanks everyone - will this develop into a flower then ?

HanSolo Wed 19-Feb-14 22:52:36

I have soemthing that looks similar... irises started blooming from the middle of it!

plum100 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:39:04

Will wait and see then its taking ages to flower x

Whatever it is it looks pretty congested - so if there are no flowers that might be why. If nothing happens this year then split them up and replant them if you can be bothered and see what happens next year.

HanSolo Sun 23-Feb-14 11:39:50

I was wondering how far north you are plum?
We are in quite a sheletered area, with a little micro-climate, and it's warmer than other areas... so this may be why ours have flowered already (we've had loads more come out this week).

Ferguson Tue 25-Feb-14 19:42:06

I think some grape hyacinth bulbs can grow quite large, so should start to have pale blue flowers in a month or two.

If you WANT it to flower and spread, I would be brave, dig up the clumps, divide into single bulbs (with leaves) and replant a wider area. If you DON'T want it, get rid of it now before it spreads.

www.rhs.org.uk/Children/For-families/Plants-to-grow-with-kids/Muscari

(Looks like you could also make some nice cider!)

EmNetta Mon 03-Mar-14 16:03:13

I have something similar, spreading along border, into gravel etc, despite years of pulling it out. It does flower, white bluebells but rather not have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now