Talk

Advanced search

Do you make your own compost?

(21 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 16-Feb-14 17:29:54

My councils charging £30 soon for garden collection.

Shallishanti Sun 16-Feb-14 17:33:11

yes! I love making compost! it's easy peasy. But you may still need to get rid of garden waste- depends how much you have. I have 3 compost bins and a large garden but still have to use the green bin occassionaly

EstoyAqui Sun 16-Feb-14 17:34:36

I used to. We keep chickens though so have far too much stinky stuff that takes up too long to decompose. We take it to the local allotment site for them to use up on their bigger plots.

The bigger limbs and logs from trees are given to friends with wood burners (I'm not jealous of them at all!)

How big is your garden and do you grow much? We have 2 dalek com posters that are more than big enough for our needs.

Shallishanti Sun 16-Feb-14 17:40:12

really? chicken poo is excellent for compost- what are you using for bedding?

EauRouge Sun 16-Feb-14 17:58:29

We do. We only have one compost bin but we only occasionally need to use the green bin, like if I'm doing a lot of pruning or getting rid of weeds that I don't want in my compost bin.

You might be able to get a cheap compost bin from your local council, we got a dalek one very cheap.

EstoyAqui Sun 16-Feb-14 18:25:04

I use wood chips in the run and straw/shredded paper in the nesting box. The nesting box is cleared out weekly and put on the compost heap. The wooden run chips are scraped off monthly and given to the allotments. The heavier wood chips take forever to decompose otherwise. It works both ways, we get lots of veggies in return for the compost. I find that the nitrogen content is so great if we use any more of their waste that it actually kills young plants or damages the stems/shoots.

I tend to fill up a bin a year and then when it is full start on the next bin. We empty our oldest composting dalek once a year at the end of the season and mulch around our fruit trees with the compost. I wish I had more space to use all the chicken waste but with all the kids paraphernalia and our fruit trees we just don't have space.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:26:58

I can get one with a base for £25ish from the council. I'm wondering if I can just use my green bin though?

Go on, there's a flaw in that plan isn't there?

looselegs Sun 16-Feb-14 21:28:21

I have a wormery which I bought 3 years ago.All my fresh waste goes in it-veg etc-and the little worms make some lovely compost for me to dig into the clay soil that we have here and to mix in with potting compost. I also get 'worm tea' from it (the liquid that comes out of the compost) and it makes a fab plant feed when it's diluted!

ppeatfruit Fri 21-Feb-14 14:33:52

I make compost it's easy (though we do have a large garden) I also compost the cat litter (which for some reason is a no no) but it makes the nicest friable compost I've ever used.

MewlingQuim Fri 21-Feb-14 14:42:48

We used to make compost from kitchen and garden waste, it was great stuff.

Then I got an allotment and made the garden ornamental rather than productive so no place for the giant compost bin (small garden).

I gave up the allotment and its compost bin after DD was born and it wasn't safe for her because of the sloping site. I now feel really guilty about the amount of food waste that goes in the bin sad

How do you find the wormery looselegs we may be able to squeeze one in.

MewlingQuim Fri 21-Feb-14 14:49:59

FluffyCloud You can't just use a green wheelie bin (I assume that is what you mean) it needs to let air in and let fluid drain out or you will just get smelly gunge!

Ours was built out of posts and old shed planks, about a 1 metre square. Compost is ready sooner if you can turn it occasionally so we made one side openable (is that a word?)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:12:49

I knew there would be flaws in my plan.

Aldi are doing 220l compost bins for £18 soon but I need to see if it comes with a base. I also need to borrow Dh's car because it won't fit in my car.

funnyperson Sat 22-Feb-14 05:48:06

I have a wooden compost container which I put autumns leaves in.
So far the decomposition rate is similar to the black bin llner bag method I have used in previous years.

EauRouge Sat 22-Feb-14 07:56:26

Doesn't it need to sit on bare earth so the worms can get in? Or is that optional? I've got tons of worms in mine, they reduce everything to compost within a couple of months.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:03:55

Well, on the councils website they sell bases to go on them. I haven't got any bare earth to put it on.

It says if you are getting slimey compost or water you need to add more paper/cardboard etc.

lljkk Sat 22-Feb-14 08:06:54

Bedding? Base?
What is this base thing of which you speak? Ours don't have bases.
Move the bin every yr (this is a yucky job, but fine if you like gardening). In the year after moving The ground left behind where compost bin was the best place in the garden to grow things (like tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, whatever).
You can shred cotton rags & add them to the bin, too, but they break down more slowly than plant waste.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Feb-14 08:22:10

www.leics.getcomposting.com/Shop/HomePage/CV330BBASKITSUB_Blackwall_330_litre_Black_Compost_Converter_Basic_Kit.html

I can't have one if it doesn't have a base, it needs to go on a gravelled area <frets>

ppeatfruit Sat 22-Feb-14 18:29:17

Fluffy I think as long as you add a little actual soil (e.g. old potting compost etc.) then the worms arrive wherever the bin is placed.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:43:54

The gravels about 2" deep stones about 1" in size, if it doesn't have a base it will go everywhere and be very messy.

I have loads of worms in the garden, I can put some in when the compost gets going a bit.

ppeatfruit Sat 22-Feb-14 18:51:48

Yes exactly and they arrive from nowhere if you 've put a bit of garden earth in your compost mix grin. Just remember not to let it get too dry or too wet and you'll be fine.

Bearleigh Sat 22-Feb-14 19:28:03

I didn't realise the importance of mixing 'green' & 'brown' at first so just used kitchen vegetable waste which took ages to rot down. If you mix the two you got more compost more quickly:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.php

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now