Talk

Advanced search

Indoor bulbs - flowering October/November

(3 Posts)
mumzuki Tue 04-Feb-14 20:00:26

Please help - I'm getting married at the beginning of November, and we're planning a very small, casual DIY-ish wedding. I'd really like growing flowers, in planters, on the table during the ceremony. I was planning to try planting bulbs indoors, in weekly batches, aiming to have a decent number in flower for the wedding. The more I think about it, though, the more problems I come up with. So can anyone tell me...

Can I transplant the bulbs that are flowering into pretty planters for the ceremony, or is this likely to kill them? I can't afford to buy loads of planters, so if I'm planting batches of bulbs I'll be gambling on which ones will be in flower.

If I can transplant the bulbs, can I get away with using shallower planters - on the assumption that by that stage they'll have done most of their growing? Or is that imbecilic? confused

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for what I can plant? I was planning to do narcissus paperwhite grandiflora, which apparently flowers in autumn if grown indoors. What would go well with it? Is there anything else that will flower then?

Thank you, lovely gardening types!

Rhubarbgarden Tue 04-Feb-14 20:15:28

You could try Nerine bowdennii. I think you'd need to keep them in the pots you'd grown them in to be honest.

I grew flowers in little terracotta pots for my wedding. June though, so more choice. I have to say, it was quite stressful, at a time when I could have done without something else to fret about. Looked good though, and made me very proud.

funnyperson Tue 04-Feb-14 20:44:11

cyclamen hederifolium? (pretty colours, can go in small pots on tables)
michelmas daisies?
chinese lanterns (physalis)
camellia sasanqua
some late fuschias

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now