Talk

Advanced search

I want to buy DH a wisteria

(10 Posts)
RudyMentary Mon 03-Feb-14 09:32:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 03-Feb-14 12:47:53

They like full sun. The varieties are all nice, it just depends which you personally prefer really.

aircooled Mon 03-Feb-14 15:50:32

Wisteria sinensis varieties are more scented and flower before the leaves appear. W.floribunda has larger flowers but they can get muddled up with the emerging leaves. Both lovely, as Rhubarb says, it's which you prefer. Train the young shoots to make a framework and let side shoots develop which you prune to encourage flowers. Don't let the stems twist round each other!

RudyMentary Mon 03-Feb-14 16:03:49

aircooled Mon 03-Feb-14 18:09:40

You should be able to get one in a garden centre. Check it's not pot-bound. Don't plant too close to the base of a wall as rain won't get to the roots, or grow up a pergola. You can plant this spring but keep it well watered this year. The sooner you get it in, the sooner you'll have those gorgeous flowers!

looselegs Sun 16-Feb-14 21:30:51

..they can take up to 10 years to flower though...

CuttedUpPear Sun 16-Feb-14 21:42:41

Plant it at least one metre away from the wall it will grow up.
Don't allow it to wind round drainpipes- it will become a large plant of tree like dimensions eventually.

You'll need to drill and attach vine eyes and wires for the plant to climb up.

RudyMentary Sun 16-Feb-14 21:45:21

looselegs Mon 17-Feb-14 08:33:59

Wisteria is my favourite plant-ours flowers twice a year. Just keep cutting off the long tendrils that grow quite quickly or it will take over

Full sun, get one that's clearly grafted (i.e. has a blob on the stem where a new plant has been grafted onto a rootstock - will flower much more quickly), and learn how to prune it. Really really worth understanding how to prune it when it's little and you can see what you're doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now