Talk

Advanced search

New allotment!

(6 Posts)
Kernowgal Mon 27-May-13 08:54:12

So then, I've just been offered an allotment plot. It looks like it will be one that needs 'regenerating' so initially I plan to cultivate a small area and crack on with the hard work for the rest of it during the autumn and winter. Not sure what the soil's like but if it's similar to the rest of the area then it'll be very sandy loam.

I have a tiny bit of space for a propagator in my kitchen so can get a few bits and bobs going now, but I'm too late for a lot of things, which is a shame (unless I buy in plug plants). So I'm thinking of a few faster crops such as lettuce and other salad leaves, beetroot, a few annual herbs.

So hit me up with anything else I can grow as a catch crop. I have Joy Larkcom's Grow Your Own Veg book so will be perusing that later.

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Mon 27-May-13 09:02:25

Buy plug plants for this year, b&q have three for two this weekend. Cabbages, herbs, strawberries, salad leaves, courgettes. Put some stuff in for winter like squash and spuds.

Enjoy! We got ours last year after a long wait. We know next to bugger all but this second year has been loads easier.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-May-13 09:05:32

Rocket gardens sell plug plants and I've had a lot of success with them.

Now is also the time to get a cut flower garden going. Plant bulbs like dwarf gladioli, lilies, astromeira etc.

I only planted a square metre of Sarah ravens scattering cottage garden mix a month ago so you could still do that.

Cover what you can't cultivate in thick plastic damp proof membrane - much tougher than weed suppressant fabric and everything will be dead under it by next year.

Kernowgal Mon 27-May-13 09:11:57

Good idea - I can get some thick membrane from work so will definitely do that. I'm going to look at the plot later this week so will know then what kind of horrible perennial weeds I'm going to have to deal with.

A cutting garden is definitely on the list (I am a dahlia nut), and I might just be able to squeeze some sweet peas in if I direct sow.

OK, will try some plug plants too. As luck would have it I'm on holiday for a week from Saturday so most of it will have to wait till mid-June but it's on the way home from work so I can do odds and sods in the evenings.

Might see if I can get some fruit bushes in the ground for next year too.

I had an allotment years back and loved it. Really looking forward to it and it'll be a nice way to meet people too (am new to the area).

NotAnotherNewNappy Mon 27-May-13 20:02:41

Congratulations on your new plot, have you been on the waiting lst a long time? I grew some squash from seed this time last year so it may be worth giving them a go. I've started some baby sweetcorn today, outside but under cover nod in a seed tray.

Kernowgal Tue 28-May-13 06:16:10

No, only about three weeks, which is rather surprising! I think the site is under threat from development and also many plots need regenerating which is probably why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now