Talk

Advanced search

Bloody great tree root in back garden - can we chop it ?

(3 Posts)
LunaMoona Wed 24-May-06 15:20:22

Am trying to clear bottom half of garden to put down some paving. It is currently gravelled with some shrubs etc. Have discovered a large tree root coming up above the level of the planned paving. Prob from one of the large trees on property backing on to ours. My dad reckons we could just chop it out (the tree obviously has lots of roots !). Has anyone done this with success or would the tree just fall down ?

NotActuallyAMum Wed 24-May-06 15:25:49

No idea where you stand legally but I can't believe that it would fall down because you cut just one root

catsmother Wed 24-May-06 21:34:33

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I have a few large shrubs in my garden which not surprisingly also have lengthy roots. It can make planting other stuff in borders quite tricky sometimes 'cos you dig down 4 inches and there are all these roots in the way. Obviously, I try to avoid damaging them but have resorted to cutting them sometimes so I can plant something else.

I've never had any problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: