Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mowing a very overgrown lawn

(10 Posts)
lalalonglegs Fri 24-May-13 21:59:38

I've bought a flat with a lovely but very uncared for communal garden. It's a shame to let it just turn into jungle so I have offered to mow the lawn - I'm guessing I will need to hire a mower as it is too long for a normal hover thing. Can a rotary mower deal with grass that is probably approaching a foot high?

Booyhoo Fri 24-May-13 22:01:29

i would use a strimmer tbh on long grass like that. get it chopped down a good whack and then the next cut can be down with a normal mower.

Booyhoo Fri 24-May-13 22:02:23

done with a normal mower.

lalalonglegs Fri 24-May-13 22:05:42

It's quite a large garden - won't that be a lot of raking?

Booyhoo Fri 24-May-13 22:14:03

it would be tbh. you could hire a big lawnmower but it might just flatten the grass as you push it along and not actually cut it. could you ask for the other residents to join in with the raking if you strim?

MistyB Fri 24-May-13 22:16:29

It can be done with a regular mower. We regularly leave our garden go to meadow and then mow paths through it. The wheels on our mower are powered which helps.

lalalonglegs Sat 25-May-13 09:54:50

Oh, that's useful to know. Thanks.

linspins Sat 25-May-13 19:28:53

A normal mower might deal with it if it is a biggish sort of mower, and you set it on a high cutting level (so it won't be cutting quite so much in the first go). Make sure you do it when the grass is a dry as possible too. Lucky residents that you've offered to cut it - maybe you will ignite the gardening bug in someone else too, and the garden will become a social meeting point. smile

Showtime Sun 26-May-13 16:14:13

Remembering years ago when parents bought house with jungle, DF contacted council to deal with it - no idea what it cost, but he didn't have to buy expensive equipment or suffer exhaustion clearing grass for hours on end - I'd phone for an estimate, then inform other tenants of the cost, hoping they offer to share.

lalalonglegs Sun 26-May-13 21:35:37

Ha ha - the idea of Lambeth sending a gardener round to mow the lawn, am weeping with laughter smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now