Talk

Advanced search

Anjelica

(3 Posts)
MoominMammasHandbag Tue 21-May-13 16:38:56

I can't even remember how I came by the little plant. And last year it was just a pleasant, healthy looking shrub, filling a gap. But this year my Anjelica has stunning yellowy green flower heads about 10 inches across. How come no one ever told me about anjelica?
So I know it's a biennial, and will die after it flowers, but do I collect the seed or will it self sow? And is it likely to eventually become a bit of a nuisance like my lovely, but rather over enthusiastic, bronze fennel?

ElectricSheep Tue 21-May-13 22:41:46

Mine didn't self seed, I've just bought another this year. I'd collect a bit of seed and let it self-seed too if you don't mind where it takes.

Did you do anything with it? I'd like to try candied angelica but I think you have to pick it before flowering when the stems are young and tender. I think traditionally you pick it on St George's Day for candying.

MoominMammasHandbag Wed 22-May-13 11:49:56

Yes apparently you have to cut it before it flowers for candying. I found an interesting looking American website called "culinate". I'm just very taken with my Anjelica and want to spread it around the garden a bit - it's really lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now