Talk

Advanced search

East facing roof terrace

(9 Posts)
noddyholder Tue 23-May-06 15:10:59

I have a roof terrace facng east which has just been decked and fenced and now I need some big plants for it that I can't kill!It is very sunny until about 2ish and then dull I want some big plants that can stay in pots and that stay looking good

bundle Tue 23-May-06 15:11:54

bamboo?

noddyholder Tue 23-May-06 15:14:22

Can you keep bamboo in tubs?

bundle Tue 23-May-06 15:17:17

yes, next door have some. in fact it's a good idea, otherwise it spreads like mad apparently. theirs makes lovely noises when it wafts in the breeze.

noddyholder Tue 23-May-06 15:28:28

thanks bundle!

bundle Tue 23-May-06 15:45:04

(our gardens are northeast, so similar to yours)

- also they have a red-leafed plant (about 4 or 5 ft tall now) that is gorgeous, in a pot too. will have a nose at the label (i'd like one too!)

merlotmama Tue 23-May-06 22:36:06

Euonymous (small variegated leaves); Garrya Elliptica (droopy catkin-type effect); Fatsia Japonica large dramatic fig-leafed shape light green leaves. All tough as old boots and evergreen therefore year-round colour and no leaves to sweep up. If you need a climber - Hydrangea Petiolaris. I have a very healthy one on an east facing wall.You wouldn't want anything too dainty because in the late winter/spring, early morning sunshine can damage leaves with frost on them. (EG if the red leafed plant rec. by bundle is an acer - beautiful but delicate.) If you click on the link on the 'which is your favourite flower' thread, you will find a helpful plant selector.

cod Tue 23-May-06 22:36:27

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 24-May-06 12:55:00

thanks all esp you cod if I grow that I may not give a s**t that the rest of the house is a building site atm!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: