Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I grow vegetables in a shadey garden and if not what can I have

(7 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Sun 19-May-13 20:40:14

I'm a very novice gardener. I'd like to grow veg but have a really shady garden.

I have one small south facing bed I've stuffed with seeds and bulbs but the other 2 beds are shady.

Can anyone suggest anything or am I on a no hoper? If not veg what can I have because its rather sad to have 2 large miserable looking beds. They were full of weeds which grew beautifully but I've been busy digging and digging and i think I've got most of them out at last.

Hope someone can help and thank you

PotteringAlong Sun 19-May-13 20:41:08

Rhubarb? You're best not to eat it for the first year but after that it should be great!

RunsWithScissors Sun 19-May-13 20:42:41

I think lettuces would do well (if not completely dark shade).

My potatoes are coming up ok in filtered light (leaves from next doors apple tree shade that bit).

Hope others can help you out more.

MrsCurly Sun 19-May-13 20:44:29

I've grown peas in a shady north facing garden. Delicious.

mrspink27 Sun 19-May-13 21:59:41

this link might help

funnyperson Wed 22-May-13 03:48:28

Am growing the following in a vegetable trough in dappled shade: cut and come again lettuce, rocket, mange tout, yellow and purple french beans, chives. Next year will add artichokes.

monsterchild Wed 22-May-13 03:51:55

Most greens will grow there, nasturtiums to I think. I also agree that peas will grow too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now