Talk

Advanced search

I have a jungle that needs taming ,but how ???

(8 Posts)
crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 19-May-13 14:49:46

I need to sort my jungle garden out !
Its 40ft by 25ft and has every kind of weed you could possibly imagine and they grow ridiculously fast as does the grass .
I am a complete novice and have a small budget, So here is what I need to know ..

•How do i get rid of such a vast amount of weeds .
•How do i make the ground even.

•I only want a snap area of grass at the bottom of the garden so what is the best way to do this as their is a huge ditch at the bottom of the garden with the old concrete cemetery fence half buried confused

•Is it easy enough to lay a patio ?

•All the grass needs replacing as its more weeds than grass

I think that's it , can't keep it all as grass as Ds is allergic to grass

I will try and a few photos

Thanks

crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 19-May-13 14:50:39

*Small patch not snap hmm

bella65 Sun 19-May-13 16:33:46

Are the weeds in the borders or all over the whole plot? You could be lazy and buy weed killer or another way is so cover the whole lot- borders- with black plastic like bin bags opened up and weighted down - so you exclude light. This kills the weeds but you will still need to dig them up.

Evening the ground- digging up and maybe adding top soil if there are huge differences in levels.

New lawn- turf is the easiest.

Patio- you need good preparation- level ground, sand under the slabs, and maybe a liner to stop weeds growing- google some DIY sites and there'll be loads of info.

Sounds like an awful lot to take on so maybe find someone who can do the patio and you do the rest ?

Bearandcub Sun 19-May-13 16:35:54

Immac?

Bearandcub Sun 19-May-13 16:36:28

Oh just realised this in gardening wink

crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 19-May-13 17:31:57

Bear grin

Bella the weeds are all over the place so I'll get lots of that black plastic ground sheet stuff , Approx how long will I need to keep it down ?

Will more than likely have to go the top soil route & the turf as there are loads of mounds all over

I can get Dp to do the patio as can't pay for anybody as have been quoted almost £2000

Thanks

LaurieFairyCake Sun 19-May-13 17:40:39

The cheapest ground sheet stuff is thick blue plastic that they sell in B&Q as damp proof membrane - we only paid about £20 5 years ago and it's still thick plastic and hasn't deteriorated. All other weedy membrane types have deteriorated on my allotment. I've now loaned the same bit of blue plastic to 3 different people.

You can cut it up to border size.

crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 19-May-13 21:41:15

Thanks laurie any idea how long I should keep it down ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now