Talk

Advanced search

Is it too late to buy and plant out strawberries - help please!

(5 Posts)
womblingalong Sun 19-May-13 10:04:32

We have moved into a house with an enormous and very empty garden, so despite being a very reluctant gardener I have attempted to grow some fruit and veg.

I have managed to plant out potatoes and they are doing well, and have just planted out spinach, carrot, watercress, rocket, lambs lettuce and beetroot and spring onions and peas.

I want to plant some strawberries, but am I too late? I would appreciate any advice on varieties, suppliers, and growing tips. Any advice gratefully received!

WomblesOfCairngorm Sun 19-May-13 10:08:42

Hi there, I have absolutely no idea about strawberries, but just wanted to tell you what a fab username you have grin

Jenijena Sun 19-May-13 10:15:59

Get yourself to the garden centre today - they will be selling plants still, imagine, and you'll get a few this year but LOADS next year.

A mixture of varieties, depending on when they fruit (early, mid and late season will keep you going year on year).

They send out runners after they've finished planting, and you can plug this into pots and make new plants, so you will have more plants next year.

Watch out for slugs and low hanging fruit getting rotten. You can, if you like, plant them in holes in weed suppressing fabric, or with straw under them, but not essential.

womblingalong Sun 19-May-13 13:01:03

Right back at you WomblesofCairngorm!!

Perfect jenijena, thanks!

I was going to order some and will be going to get some more compost in a bit so will check out if they have any strawberry plants!

bella65 Sun 19-May-13 16:34:56

No not too late- I planted some 2 weeks ago and despite the cold weather they are beginning to flower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now