Talk

Advanced search

Help! Ants under my plants.

(5 Posts)
Smicha Thu 16-May-13 15:01:09

We seem to have been overrun by ants this year. So far they've killed half of an acer by nesting under it, and a potted grass by nesting in the pot. Today I discovered a load of them crawling on a couple of rockery plants (I am hoping there isn't a nest in the rockery as I've been cultivating it for three years and am quite proud of it!) and also crawling on a peony rose. I am very much an amateur gardener so don't know what to do! I would like to get rid of the ants in a way that doesn't damage the plants if at all possible, I really don't want to have to dig them up if I can avoid it... Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

cantspel Thu 16-May-13 15:33:34

coffee grounds or Cinnamon will kill ants. Place it on the ant nest and the ants will eat it and die or if you want to use a chemical product most are harmless to plants as they act by drying out the ant so it dies of dehydration. Doff ant killer is one that is safe for plants and children.

WowOoo Thu 16-May-13 16:11:07

I have the same problem. Am glad we haven't got them coming into the house like we did last year.

They always seem to be all over the peonies. But, there never seems to be any damage to the flowers when they open.

Have plenty of coffee grounds. Will try that.

Smicha Thu 16-May-13 16:14:47

Fantastic! Thanks cantspel, I will try coffee! I have seen one or two in the house and am hoping they just got lost and aren't indicative of a wider problem... Although I fear they may be.

Smicha Thu 16-May-13 16:16:02

Also, good to know they don't damage the flowers WowOoo as I love my peonies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now