Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have lots of gardening questions - the first about potted bay trees

(7 Posts)
SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Sat 27-Apr-13 11:01:44

We've got a big, standard bay tree, it's about 6 ft tall

It's been in it's pot for 6 years or more. I think it's now pretty much all root and barely any soil

Thing is I can't get a bigger pot, it's prob abou 80cm across, so if I take it out to repot there won't be enough room for anymore soil, even if I bash off all the old soil

What should I do?

LippyDiDooDah Sat 27-Apr-13 16:31:05

Can you plant it in the garden (assuming you have one that is), that wany it can spread it's roots under the ground.

We have a small bay tree in a pot (40cm) which isn't looking too healthy so wondered if it needs a bigger one too. It's only about 3" tall.

Do you actually use the leaves in cooking OP as i want to but not sure if i'm supposed to dry them or do something to them before putting in soups etc.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Sat 27-Apr-13 18:16:15

Well, over the years it's sent up sprouts which I cut off and plant so now I've got LOADS of bay trees. Those planted in the garden are greener and shinier of leaf so I do use them in cooking. I just bung em in then fish them out at the end. No drying

I could give it it's freedom but I quite like it in a pot by the door. It's babies are bushy not standard so I can't really swap one of them for it

LippyDiDooDah Sat 27-Apr-13 21:20:03

Oh that was going to be my suggestion, swapping on of the baby offshoots to go in the pot and the mother in the ground.

Thanks re just bunging them in, will do that next time I need one.

DewDr0p Sun 28-Apr-13 00:06:52

I use leaves from my bay in cooking - they are fabulous, you will never want to use dried ones again!

echt Sun 28-Apr-13 05:37:46

If you plant it in the ground it will grow into a rather large tree. Really, unless you have a lot of space and don't mind dense shade, don't do it.

Take the plant out of its pot and thoroughly soak the roots. If you have a big enough container, put some seaweed tonic and water to plunge the root ball in so it' s not too shocked. Tease out the roots and cut them back with secateurs to about half the original size. Re-plant it in the old pot with a mixture of good topsoil and a decent compost. Make sure the mixture gets in among the roots to avoid air pockets. Water thoroughly.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Sun 28-Apr-13 15:33:19

echt brilliant! Thank you that's just what I needed to know, sounds perfect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now