Talk

Advanced search

Novice potato grower

(4 Posts)
kilmuir Thu 25-Apr-13 15:29:02

going to have a go with a potato bucket. Can any one recommend which spud to use. Hoping to use them for salads etc.
Also any hints/things not to do. thanks

AnonYonimousBird Thu 25-Apr-13 18:33:50

Good luck! I'd say any "early" you can find - they come up as News in around June time (though could be late this year!). We have put in Arran Pilot this year for a change. there are loads of such varieties.

If you do plant them, once they are through and up always make sure you protect them in the event of a frost, it gets to them so quickly. Also, if you get to the point of suspecting blight, then whip the tops off straight away (ie. within a few minutes rather than a day or two!). Last year we had perfect tall lovely potato plants one evening, utterly devastated by blight the very next morning. DH took the tops off within half an hour and we saved our crop. If you leave it too much longer, you risk losing your precious crop.

lovely having your own spuds, hope it works for you. smile

kilmuir Thu 25-Apr-13 19:58:16

I am feeling rather excited. how daft!
My grand dad had 2 allotments and huge garden so hoping I have inherited some of his green fingers.

AnonYonimousBird Fri 26-Apr-13 11:01:59

Not daft at all, it IS exciting to grow some of your own... It still tickles me that I go out, I dig them, I wash them and then eat them all within half an hour!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now