Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of nettles

(9 Posts)
evertonmint Tue 23-Apr-13 12:39:21

We have a field behind us and the nettle patch is coming up again. We don't mind as it provides security for us in summer - burglars unlikely to wade through a 10 feet wide patch of several feet high nettles!!

However, how do we manage the encroachment into our garden? They're rife in a long narrow patch by our greenhouse and also encroaching a lot on the soft fruit bed.

Any suggestions? Just hoe them into submission or something more drastic? I have a 5yo and 2yo who are often in that area with me and nettles are face height for them so leaving them not an option.

SenoritaViva Tue 23-Apr-13 12:47:49

We have the same problem... We have bought weed killer which does not kill grass. I can go and look up the name. Keep the kids out of the way whilst it dries. I'd be interested in anyone else's better ideas though!

thehairybabysmum Tue 23-Apr-13 12:52:44

glyphosate weedkiller, kills everything it touches, though takes a few weeks to work. Only spray the nettles you want to kill though.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient, ;ots of products contain it.

WowOoo Tue 23-Apr-13 12:59:09

I pull them out. I wore long dishwashing gloves underneath normal gardening gloves to protect my wrists.

Don't think you want to be putting weed killer near your soft fruit.

As there's a patch where I can't decide what I'm planting I've covered it in a few layers of garden refuse sacks to stop weeds for now. When there's more cover and I've planted it up I'm hoping they won't invade again.

You could do the same by your greenhouse. Doesn't look too bad as bags are dark green and blend in with the grass from a distance.

evertonmint Tue 23-Apr-13 13:07:34

Yes, wowoo, I'm a bit nervous about weedkiller close to the fruit really. That bit will probably require the marigolds and some hard work. I have some leftover black weed sheeting from when we covered up our new beds, so I guess it might be worth laying that down afterwards so I don't have to keep redoing it!

I'll give glyphosate a go on the patch by the greenhouse, that's a good idea.

The field behind us sometimes has horses in. They're unlikely to get close to our garden given the huge nettle patch, but does anyone know if glyphosate is safe when children and animals are in the vicinity?

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 13:08:34

Glyphosate if you can, when actively growing, but be very careful it kills things you want very easily.

And strim and mow the area if you can't and keep doing it. Despite their thick yellow evil looking roots, they can't survive without their tops.

I wish the same could be said for bind weed.

thehairybabysmum Tue 23-Apr-13 15:27:09

Glyphosate has v low toxicity so safe to use re horses and kids, just keep them away until initial spray has dried.

evertonmint Tue 23-Apr-13 16:45:56

Thanks all. Will be able to glyphosate behind greenhouse as the nettles are the only thing there apart from a gravel path so won't inadvertently kill anything - plant, horse or small child smile

Rhubarbgarden Tue 23-Apr-13 18:02:10

My garden is full of nettles too. You have my sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now