Talk

Advanced search

lawn/border edging

(8 Posts)
AuntySib Sat 20-Apr-13 23:03:15

I'm re-shaping the lawn in my back garden ( north facing, on London clay, so fairly damp) and want to put some edging between it and the borders, in order to maintain the shape. I want something fairly subtle but longlasting, that I can put in myself.
Anyone got any recommendations/things to avoid?

purplewithred Sun 21-Apr-13 08:26:55

I have invested in some ever edge - it's expensive but does look wonderful and last forever. Alternatively I can lend you my moth who is a brilliant edger, but expensive in different ways (wine fags and daily mail-informed comment)

purplewithred Sun 21-Apr-13 08:27:22

That would be my mum, not my moth.

KelleStar Sun 21-Apr-13 08:33:38

I recently laid a block edging, you lay it so one layer of blocks points into the lawn, the next runs perpendicular to it. It means you can run your mower around the lawn edge and get a neat cut and have a smart finish.

Will find you a link in a moment. I am on my phone.

KelleStar Sun 21-Apr-13 08:41:27

brick edging

I did it myself, DH was shed building.

linspins Sun 21-Apr-13 19:42:17

Really giggling at someone lending their moth - can just picture it: tiny winged animal wiping the sweat from its brow after a hard days edging!!!

We've done a brick edging in the past, just a line of brick, laid long edge touching. Laid on sand, with a tiny lip of concrete to support the non-grass edge.
I do quite fancy Ever-edge, but wince at the price.

GrendelsMum Sun 21-Apr-13 21:41:00

A professional gardener friend showed me how to use a spade so that you get that sharp defined edge without needing to put in EverEdge or bricks. It was somewhat time consuming to do to start, and needs freshening up about once a year to keep it sharp, but it lasts surprisingly well.

AuntySib Mon 22-Apr-13 21:31:26

Thanks very much for the ideas, think I'm going to go with brick edging, looks fairly simple to put in, and low maintenance once there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now