Talk

Advanced search

any vine experts?

(4 Posts)
remnant Sat 20-Apr-13 17:42:03

I have a mature vine in a garden that we took over a few years ago. It's has been harshly pruned over the last couple of years now we realise it looks dead sad.

Should vines have buds/leaves visible on them now (I'm in London btw)? It all looks black and dead. There's no sign of life anywhere except from where a low branch was accidentally pruned today where it looks all fresh inside and there's a steady flow of a clear liquid.

I fear that we chopped off the last remaining living stem of this plant today blush

Is there anything I can do to help it? I've watered the base. Is there anything we can feed it?

khaleesidragon Sat 20-Apr-13 17:48:58

We have one in our garden too. Having just moved here last May I'm not sure what it's meant to look like now. However, like yours it looks dead and black. I was hoping because of bad weather we've been having it is late to bloom.

We got lots of grapes off it last year, and then cut it back in October time, I was worrying today that it had died.

remnant Sun 21-Apr-13 20:58:29

Well khaleesi, I guess the good news is that no-one has said that their vine is already fully in bloom. There might be hope for ours yet.

I've been doing some googling today and with the winter we've just had it could be that they're still in dormant phase. Sounds like the weeping I've seen isn't uncommon and might be a sign that it's about to spring into action (that is assuming I didn't cut the one last good branch)

EauRouge Mon 22-Apr-13 19:49:23

Mine has tiny buds on, I shouldn't think it'll come out for a good week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now