Talk

Advanced search

tips needed on finding gardener/landscaper + q about fruit tree

(11 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Mon 08-Apr-13 22:48:07

Ok. Moved house last summer, garden derelict but was once beautiful, its long and slim, we have an extension which curves around the top but there is now no access to the back from the front of the house although neighbours have offered to allow us prearranged access for extracting tonnes of rubbish!

Anyway we've decided a plan of action is to create a safe play area near the house and restore the old veg patch but using a raised bed system. In time this raised bed system will become our nursery for taking on an allotment but I miss fresh produce.

We can't do this alone. I'm pg and DH is getting frustrated at his lack of progress (although he is working very hard) so we've agreed we need to biy in some help. I found two gardeners last autumn ( but neither ended up quoting despite me getting in touch with them in February and them revisiting the garden.

How can I find someone reliable?

Second q. I've been inspired by a magazine to grow fruit trees as a garden divider between the veg patch and the rest of the garden. If I were to do this (espalier?) what fruit varieties would work best and whoch woukd grow quickest?

Many thanks.)

purplewithred Mon 08-Apr-13 22:54:37

Try checkatrade or rated people for landscapers, or screech to a halt when you drive past one actually working somewhere else - at least you know they do some work occasionally.

No idea about fruit trees and speed but I'd I had space for fruit trees I'd have a greengage, a quince and a mulberry.

CuttedUpPear Mon 08-Apr-13 23:09:24

What area are you in?

All fruit trees will have the same rate of growth as each other if you are buying them for espalier purposes. They are all grafted onto rootstocks which dictate their eventual size.

This supplier is very knowledgeable and reputable. www.kenmuir.co.uk/

Rhubarbgarden Tue 09-Apr-13 07:04:22

Yes, what area are you? Perhaps someone on here can recommend someone.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 09-Apr-13 07:06:41

Are there any agricultural colleges near you that do horticulture courses? You could pin a notice on their notice board. What students lack in experience they usually make up in enthusiasm, and they are also cheap.

redwellybluewelly Tue 09-Apr-13 07:48:01

Thank you for replies, I'm in Norfolk, quite close to Easton agricultural college.

cheesecheeseplease Tue 09-Apr-13 09:13:52

ooh your quite near to me red welly um in taverham, sh plays golf at bawburgh smile

Rhubarbgarden Tue 09-Apr-13 09:57:01

Perfect. Ring them up and ask if they have a jobs notice board that you could pin an ad on.

I got my first garden design job this way and it was one of the most successful jobs I've ever done. .

redwellybluewelly Tue 09-Apr-13 11:20:22

Grand - they'll be off at the moment but I'll get in touch and see if they have a jobs board. With 2 small people as of June I think we could probably look at having some intensive help now and then possibly a few hours a week for a year or so, a student might find that a useful money earner.

redwellybluewelly Tue 09-Apr-13 15:59:01

Thank you people - I have had a response and now going to write a mini job spec, now just need to decide on a going rate for a)labouring type work and b)more experienced gardener.

Thoughts? smile and brew

Rhubarbgarden Tue 09-Apr-13 16:47:35

That's great! I don't know the going rate in your part of the world unfortunately, but I'm sure someone will come along who does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now