Talk

Advanced search

Sweet Peas

(5 Posts)
TheUnicornsGoHawaiian Sat 06-Apr-13 09:15:06

Im a new gardener.....previously I have done no more than cutting the lawn! However, DS is showing a more than keen interest in gardening, plants and flowers following some projects at school (he's only 5 I might add). FIL has bought him a sweet pea kiddie kit. Contains little pots and soil and seeds.

DS is desperate to grow his plants but im concerned the frost may kill them.

Can I transfer them inside at night or are they robust enough to survive the frost. Any advice welcomed. smile

HellesBelles396 Sat 06-Apr-13 11:57:55

Seeds don't tend to be that bothered about weather but seedlings are susceptible to frost so, given the recent weather, mine are starting off indoors. They are sown thinly in little pots and are sitting on the window ledge.

I will plant them out in May by which time the ground will be warmer and the plantlets will be a reasonable size.

If I had bought the seeds later in the year, I would probably have planted straight out.

sandripples Sat 06-Apr-13 15:04:07

I keep my seedlings indoors until the very end of May. And due to the exceptionally cold weather this year, I strongly advise you to germinate seeds indoors and and only plant them out later when all risk of frost has gone. If you have a window-sill in a spare room, that's ideal as they don't need heating - its just protecting them from the cold thats important.

Good things for little ones to grow include marigolds, sweet peas, courgettes, sunflowers, children's mixed seed packs, and if you have a green-house, tomatoes and cucumbers!

Enjoy your gardening.

sandripples Sat 06-Apr-13 15:04:56

PS I live in the north so if you're in the south the frost risk will be gone a bit earlier, but Id' still wait till may before you put seedlings outside.

TheUnicornsGoHawaiian Tue 09-Apr-13 02:44:41

Thank you for your replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now