Talk

Advanced search

Growing Peppers, advice please.

(12 Posts)
NappyHappy Sun 31-Mar-13 22:07:17

I got the seeds out of the pepper I used for tea. Do I need to dry them out at all? What would be the best way of starting them off, damp cotton wool or straight into compost? I'll be keeping them on the windowsill til big enough to go outside.

TIA

lljkk Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:13

Is this bell peppers or hot peppers? Neither one hardy enough to go outside in Britain, I think(?)

InMySpareTime Mon 01-Apr-13 10:05:22

They can go outside in summer, but are not frost hardy, and take a long time to germinate. They really needed planting in January.

NappyHappy Mon 01-Apr-13 10:21:19

Sorry, Bell Peppers. Would a greenhouse be better?

lljkk Mon 01-Apr-13 11:46:34

DH has grown hot peppers in his office at work (window cubicle, warm temps 24/7).

cantspel Mon 01-Apr-13 12:29:31

I grew hot peppers outside last year.. I start them on a window sill, then harden them off in my utility room (unheated with a long window down one side so i sit them on the window sill) then put them outside around july. Out of 4 plants i got a enough peppers to make a years work of chili oil with a small bag being frozen for cooking.
I am on the south coast so might be different if you are up north.

sandripples Mon 01-Apr-13 17:59:10

I was very pleased with the peppers I grew up here (NW England). I'd never grown them before. I bought the seed, grew them indoors on a window-sill for several weeks till they were sturdy looking, then moved them into unheated greenhouse from the end of May. Brought them indoors again at the end of the summer and they eventually grew lost and lots of beautiful, very festive red peppers - I kept them on the plant for Christmas, and we've just finished using them. The plant was really impressive! good luck. I've just some more for this year.

Startail Mon 01-Apr-13 18:10:03

never had much luck with bell peppers, they take forever to get to a decent size.

Chillies are much more successful. Two plants produce enough to keep even chilli head DH happy.

sandripples Mon 01-Apr-13 18:29:37

I should have said - mine were chillies.

NappyHappy Mon 01-Apr-13 21:24:51

Thank you all for your replies. I'm in NW too and get the sun out back so would use the windowsil.

If its too late I'll look into other veg. My tomato seeds are growing great ATM, chilli's sound good too.

What else needs seeds planting now?

InMySpareTime Tue 02-Apr-13 07:12:09

Most things can go in now, except runner beans, courgettes and pumpkins (they're may/June, allegedly once frost has passed - perhaps we'll have spring by then)
Peas are a good starter crop, or carrots in welly boots.

NappyHappy Tue 02-Apr-13 10:57:03

Spring? wink What we're meant to be in now smile

Thanks, courgettes will be a definite so I shall get looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now