Talk

Advanced search

What can I plant now?

(6 Posts)
TerrorNotSoFrightened Sat 13-Oct-12 09:41:01

We moved I to this house nine months ago and only now have I got round to sorting the garden out. By that I mean I have weeded the empty borders and the one flower bed. Given the grass it's last cut and used a spade to neaten up the edges.

I know nothing about gardening having never had a garden of my own, can you give me some advice as to what I can plant at this time of year if anything?
We live in the highlands of Scotland and the garden is south facing.

If you imagine you are looking at a square, the bottom left corner is a flower bed and two borders run along the top and right hand side of the square.
I'd like it to look good all the year so am I right in thinking I want evergreen shrubs/bushes?
The front fence is a chain link affair so I want to grow something like ivy over it, is that green all the year?

Thanks for any advice you can give, I am very excited about creating a lovely garden but worried I have left it too late for this year.

Karaokemamma Sat 13-Oct-12 12:59:59

Hi try garden on a roll ( just type it into google) instant garden :-)

TerrorNotSoFrightened Sat 13-Oct-12 13:18:22

That looks perfect karaokamama, bit pricey but maybe worth saving for?
Do you reckon I'd spend that much in plants anyway?
Border is prob 1.5ft wide and maybe 20ft in total length.

WitchesWreakinHavoc Sat 13-Oct-12 13:23:32

I am not a gardener at all. We have just moved house and discovered a pond which we are now getting ready for next year. I have just bought some bulbs to go in the rockery. I have got snow drops, little daffodils and tulips. They are spring flowering so need planting between now and december. I know its probably not much help but there is 3 things which you could plant this time of year which I know of smile

TerrorNotSoFrightened Sat 13-Oct-12 13:54:17

They sound perfect, I want to create a little bit of a fairy garden for my 3yo DD.
Must have snowdrops for that.

MissBoPeep Sat 13-Oct-12 17:35:25

If you plant snowdrops you should plant them "In the green"- this is a posh way of saying when they are in flower or just on the turn so they come up next year. The dried bulbs are a devil to grow. Wait until they are in the shops and garden centres ( in pots), in January, buy and plant in the garden.

Other ideas are: a few evergreen shrubs such as euonymous, hebes, but check the height so they don't grow into giants. Other bulbs- small narcissis, tulips, amenome, crocus etc will give you a start. Plant those now. Other easy plants are hardy geraniums, - loads of colours around.

If it's s mall garden you are better off sticking to a few species but lots of them. One of each plant looks awful- plant 3 or 5 of each plant in clumps for a better effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now