Talk

Advanced search

Fruit tree advice

(5 Posts)
pongysticks Wed 10-Oct-12 20:08:32

Can I ask budding gardeners is now really the time to start planting fruit trees or is this just marketing? I've found a wonderful website and videos chatting about planting trees, selecting fruit trees, but wondered when is the best time??

I'm looking to get some apple trees, pears and a cherry tree from www.blackmoor.co.uk and have been watching the videos which make it look easy

youtu.be/b2ljE8ZLfs4

jchocchip Wed 10-Oct-12 20:29:01

Yes the best time to plant trees is in the dormant season - autumn to beginning of spring. They don't need much water when they have no leaves.

pongysticks Wed 10-Oct-12 20:46:07

Oh thanks jchocchip - can I ask then does the fact it will be very cold and frosty soon not damage the new trees? so they are happy going in directly to the soil and no need to keep them away from frost (i was pondering how to fit 5 apple trees in my greenhouse!)

Where do you buy your trees from is Blackmoor good? They look very knowledgable and have a huge range.

jchocchip Wed 10-Oct-12 20:54:03

You shouldn't plant into frozen or waterlogged ground but I shouldn't worry about frosty mornings. I haven't bought any trees for a while but we have grown more than 150 from seed - beech, oak and horse chestnut. They seem pretty resilient. There seems to be some good advice in this link: www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/fruit-tree-planting-instructions

jchocchip Wed 10-Oct-12 20:55:13

<wanders off wondering if dh will agree to an apple tree or two in the front garden>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now