Talk

Advanced search

digitalis - keep or dig out

(15 Posts)
MousyMouse Sun 07-Oct-12 11:16:51

many many young plants came up after weeding a month or so ago.
have small(ish) dc.
are they really that poisonous? if yes, better to get rid?

droitwichmummy Sun 07-Oct-12 11:20:53

Keep them and just make sure to teach the DC not to put their fingers into the flowers in the same way you will teach them not to eat berries

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 07-Oct-12 11:22:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MousyMouse Sun 07-Oct-12 11:23:09

I'm more worried that they (esp the younger one) makes a 'leaf soup' for the teddies and licks fingers after.

PrincessSymbian Sun 07-Oct-12 11:26:36

Tell them not to use the foxgloves if they are going to do that. They are far too pretty to get rid of!

EauRouge Sun 07-Oct-12 12:36:06

How old are they? I had to take DD1 to A&E when she was 2.8 after she tried to eat a leaf. She was fine in the end but I dug them all up after that. Lots of plants are poisonous but some are worse than others and digitalis is one of the bad ones. Too bad really, they are one of my favourites.

MousyMouse Sun 07-Oct-12 15:44:16

if I take them out, would they keep growing?

MousyMouse Sun 07-Oct-12 16:19:25

I mean if I put them in a pot in the front garden will they keep growing?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 07-Oct-12 16:27:26

As perennials they may eventually get too cramped in a pot, but they will certainly grow in a pot for a while. Assuming your children are never playing unsupervised in the front garden, that might be the best arrangement if you want to keep the plants.

Aquelven Sun 07-Oct-12 17:56:18

Don't dig them up. Bees love them & the bees need all the help they can get these days.
Just teach them not to touch, it's good for them to learn about plants.

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Oct-12 17:59:41

Wild foxgloves are biennials rather than perennials - the young plants coming up now will flower next summer. If you move them they should do well - they like damp shade.

MousyMouse Sun 07-Oct-12 19:11:41

have dug most out now. only the ones furthest away in the underbrush I have left.
they are the cabagey first year plants that should flower next year.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 13-Oct-12 22:54:57

Keep.
www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/digitalis.htm

Viviennemary Sat 13-Oct-12 23:01:24

If you think there is any chance your children will try to nibble them or lick their fingers after touching them I think I would dig them up to be on the safe side. However, I think it is best to teach children not to eat things from the garden. Anything at all without checking first.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:05:54

read the link
digitalis is an emetic and very bitter
they will lick their fingers, tehn spit the nasty taste out before ingesting poison
and digitalis is a really important drug - not instantly lethal .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now