Talk

Advanced search

It's October. My tomato plant has just burst into flower. Can anything come of it?

(4 Posts)
OhBuggerandArse Fri 05-Oct-12 20:56:59

Have had a relatively healthy but unproductive tomato plant on my window sill all summer; we got two perfectly nice tomatoes off it, but that was all, and I was just getting around to thinking about consigning it to winter oblivion and getting my window sill space back.

Then, aaargh! in the last week it's suddenly grown a whole lot of new flowers. Is there any chance at all it could still grow fruit this late in the year?

I would feel very mean about getting shot of it if there is a chance it could still be productive, but at the same time I don't want to have to keep walking round a massive great plant if it's just some crazed last hurrah that can never come to anything.

Anyone know what's likely?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 05-Oct-12 21:06:16

Maybe some small green tomatoes. The sun won't be strong enough to ripen anything I wouldn't have thought.

I sowed tomato seeds in Feb, had little plants inside the house in March, have lovingly nurtered them, hardened them off and had them outside. All about 6ft high, loads of flowers, not a single red tomato. All stayed green and they're 7 months old! Bastards.

OhBuggerandArse Fri 05-Oct-12 22:08:34

Bastard plants indeed. I calculate my two tomatoes cost about £5 each if you count the time I spent looking after them... And now I feel guilty about my murderous thoughts, too.

ike1 Mon 08-Oct-12 11:30:10

Oh gardening! Such waste of money. Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now