Talk

Advanced search

Total novice - growing veg

(12 Posts)
YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Sun 23-Sep-12 21:59:17

I am about to move house and, for the first time in my adult life, will have a garden. I want to grow some veg, maybe fruit.

Does anyone have any ideas for things that are easy, give quite a good yield and will not land us with a glut of something inedible. I have literally only grown herbs before and all my googling has just confused me.

Help!

Furball Sun 23-Sep-12 22:06:11

I have a 1.5 metre square deep raised bed filled with compost and sand

every year around april time I sprinkle in carrots seeds, in rows (but I don't pinch out any once they start growing) cover with fleece (raised up on the top of the wood not on the soil) and leave, occasionally peeking in and occasionally watering if it's been dry

Around about now, end up with a lovely bed full of carrots, which I leave in place and pick as and when I need. yummy lasts for most of the winter

also have rhubarb in a similar set up, bought 4 crowns and they have gone literally crazy. have chopped and put in the freezer.

Raspberrys on a sunny fence do well

debbiedlemur Mon 24-Sep-12 14:59:20

Peas are dead easy to grow and delicious, courgettes and squashes are great as they grow really quickly but you may end up with loads of courgettes unless you limit it to one or two plants. Carrots are good but if your soil is on the heavy side they might struggle a bit and grow forked or misshapen.
The best thing is to grow what you and your family like to eat and especially things which are expensive to buy in the shops or which taste best freshly picked. Good luck with your growing, you will love it.

LFCisTarkaDahl Mon 24-Sep-12 15:02:57

<snort> at ending up with a glut of courgettes, I had 20 plants as they are our favourite veg and have had a dreadful season, everythings late, just really failed to thrive. In general this year hasn't been great for veg but I got carrier bags full of strawberries.

Hopefully next year will be better.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 24-Sep-12 15:09:37

Thanks for the suggestions.

Debbie - that is a good point about growing stuff that is expensive to buy. I guess carrots are quite cheap to buy, but if they are easy I might do them anyway as the kids will enjoy those. Even if they come out deformed grin

DD1 hates courgettes so I will have to watch out for the glut on that one. She's only three, but I don't think she'd be impressed!

Furball - Rhubarb. Yum! Love it and it costs a fortune. Always thought it was hard to grow, but I'm probably thinking of the forced stuff.

ethelb Mon 24-Sep-12 15:10:25

herbs aren't bad and the cost saving is prob higher than many veg tbh.

I have purple sprouting broc in which are dead easy though they need a flower bed for about 10 months. I have beetroot in which is doing v well and fennel which is doing quite well too as I planted after midsummer.

Fruit canes are quite easy too.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 24-Sep-12 15:12:23

Yes - will definitely continue the herbs. Mint does ok until it gets pot-bound, but I'm not having a garden like my friends mum where it goes mental. Have had good success with flat leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, so will keep those up.

Have memories of eating purple sprouting at every meal for weeks when my dad had an allotment. Luckily it is still one of my favourite vegetables!

StarLane Mon 24-Sep-12 15:41:14

Sweet corn is easy too. You can even grow it in containers.

CuriousMama Mon 24-Sep-12 16:36:24

ethelb I planted purple sprouting broccoli but it didn't seem to work out?

OP I agree re peas and if you make a wigwam or lattice support it can look so pretty. Runner beans have pretty lovely flowers and you can grown both of these up a fence/trellis. Lettuce are easy too but we've ended up with loads. You can just tear off as many leaves as you want. Beetroot is easy as well and you get loads to a plant, something I didn't realise would happen? I even made choc beetroot muffins with some smile

ethelb Mon 24-Sep-12 16:37:01

I planted mine on a windowsill and didn't plant out until late July. They are now like triffids.

monsterchild Mon 24-Sep-12 16:40:53

I like leafy greens, chard, kale, spinach. they all grow well. Chard will grow all season.

tomatoes grow well in my area, I actually have too many, and am trying to figure out what to do with them! we bought a canner to preserve them all.

I don't like sweet corn, unless you grow it with beans as it needs a lot of nitrogen.
Peas are very nice, as are cucumbers and onions.

CuriousMama Mon 24-Sep-12 17:39:12

<tomato envy> wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now