Talk

Advanced search

is this the right time to cut back lavender ?

(8 Posts)
ggirl Sat 22-Sep-12 13:00:57

and should i cut it right back to the wood?

FancyBread Sat 22-Sep-12 20:24:28

You can cut it back now (after flowering) but do not cut back to the wood as it only grows from the green.

ggirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:31:57

oh thanks for replying
I think the hedge may need replacing as it's getting a bit straggly lower down
When is the best time to do this?

CuttedUpPear Sun 23-Sep-12 08:32:00

The best time to cut back lavender is late August, it's like harvesting the flowers as they will still be in full bloom. You can cut back to the wood then as long as there are little green shoots below where you are cutting.

Don't cut back hard now - mid Sept - as any new growth can be affected by frost and kill the whole plant. Just cut back into the green as Fancybread says.

If your lavender is getting straggly then carry out the pruning I've outlined next spring - you can reprune once growth has started and make the plant generate new growth lower down.

What is your hedge made of?

ggirl Sun 23-Sep-12 09:28:02

well not a hedge I guess more a border of just lavender dividing our driveway from next door...is very full and stunning when in full flower
Old neighbour planted it about 10 yrs or more ago and always looked after it ,they've moved now and I have no clue how to care for it,

thanks...I'll trim it back but not too hard

ggirl Sun 23-Sep-12 09:29:41

sorry just reread your post
so I shouldn't cut back now?
don't think I could bear to cut back when it's in full bloom

CuttedUpPear Sun 23-Sep-12 12:54:37

Ok I wasn't sure if you referring to the lavender as a hedge or some other hedge you had elsewhere smile

- Trim it back now but only into green growth (this year's), just remove all the flowering stems
- If it is getting straggly at the roots then trim again in April/May - new green growth will be appearing low down, you can cut nearer to that this time
- If it is still too straggly at the roots then trim right back in late August, harvesting all the flower spikes as you go for lavender bags/posies etc

ggirl Sun 23-Sep-12 16:07:13

Thank you ...very useful ..will get onto it when it dries up a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now