Talk

Advanced search

Tree for middle of lawn?

(7 Posts)
mavornia Mon 17-Sep-12 01:27:32

We're buying a new house (offer was just accepted). It has a lovely garden at the back and towards the top of the lawn there is currently a rather nondescript looking bush/shrub in the middle.

I'd be grateful for suggestions as to what might look nice here. Would a cherry tree work?

I was after something that would be pleasant to look at all year round and not overly tall so as not to overshadow the house.

I'll post pictures of the house here, there are a few garden shots:

www.propertynews.com/Property/North-Belfast/BRC172750/761b-Antrim-Road/

JennerOSity Mon 17-Sep-12 13:29:06

Japanese Maple are lovely, don't grow too tall if you get the right sort, have soft-to-the-touch leaves which are a gorgeous colour. They do lose leaves in winter but unless you go for a conifer of some sort that's hard to avoid. Evergreens are often so dense that they kill the lawn around by blocking light.

www.japanesemapletree.co.uk/

Netguru Mon 17-Sep-12 13:34:08

I got a double flowering cherry. Very happy smile

mavornia Mon 17-Sep-12 22:08:51

thanks, they are both gorgeous

survivingsummer Fri 21-Sep-12 21:59:22

A flowering cherry would be nice - some don't last long in flower but there are lots to choose from!

This is quite helpful apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/

Also -

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/22/best-trees-small-gardens#/?picture=361782422&index=9

I would have said a Robinia Frisia but they all seem to be dying of some disease (including mine sad) but that would make a beautiful focal point.

JamNan Sat 22-Sep-12 07:30:37

Crab apple?

RikersBeard Sat 22-Sep-12 07:47:04

Depending on your soil, a magnolia could be beautiful. I love acers, but bear in mind they can be sensitive to wind/frost so depends how sheltered the position is. A twisted hazel could also be interesting, green in summer and beautiful twigs in winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now