Talk

Advanced search

Why isn't my jasmine flowering?

(8 Posts)
dietcokeandwine Tue 24-Jul-12 22:48:21

I have a lovely fence-climbing jasmine, planted last year, south facing border, has grown well and looks lush in terms of foliage...but has about two blooms on it. Whilst my neighbour's (admittedly longer-established) jasmine is smothered in lovely little white flowers. Does anyone have any advice about why my plant isn't blooming? It looks healthy enough and I feed with plant food every 10-14 days, but I'd love it to actually flower properly and it's showing no signs of doing so!

thanks in advance

workshy Tue 24-Jul-12 22:50:10

you don't need to feed it that often -waste of money (sorry)

you need to prune it after it has finish flowering and you will get a much better display next year smile

chixinthestix Tue 24-Jul-12 23:11:13

It sounds to me like you might be feeding it too much which could encourage lots of foliage at the expense of flowers. Mine is also 2 years old, grown from a cutting so took ages to get established but is flowering well now. Its foliage is quite sparse still though.

Taris Wed 25-Jul-12 09:01:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BerylStreep Wed 01-Aug-12 17:54:34

Blimey, how does a message get deleted in gardening?

Anyhow, our jasmine doesn't flower until much later in August, but we have had it planted for about 6 years, and IIRC it didn't really flower much until about year 3 or 4. Now it gets masses of flowers in late Aug - although funny, it isn't doing so well this year - lots of buds but not much growth.

Sounds like you may be feeding it too much, and it is having to put so much energy into growing and making foliage, it has no strength left for flowers,

RobotHamster Wed 01-Aug-12 17:58:38

Ignore it completely other than to lop off the ends when it's overgrown and it will flower eventually. Ours is very well established and still isn't really flowering this year, think it's just a bit late this year

dietcokeandwine Thu 02-Aug-12 22:05:10

Thanks all for the advice - will stop the over-feeding and see what happens!

MaeBush Sat 01-Aug-15 17:20:51

That explains my three year old plants, happily climbing the fluted columns without flowers. I suspect they just take years to mature to flowering. like lilacs do perhaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now