Talk

Advanced search

what can i plant for winter colour?!

(4 Posts)
vmcd28 Fri 21-Oct-11 11:39:17

We have a small deck at our french doors, which our sitting room looks out over. Id like to have some pots there over the winter, full of things that are pretty over the winter.
we often have harsh winters here, so it would preferably be something hardy.

So, can any of you help with ideas of plants that either flower over winter, or have bright berries, or interesting leaf colours and shapes?

Many thanks x

VirgoGrr Fri 21-Oct-11 15:56:38

Whereabouts are you? English riviera or Canada? Makes a difference to your definition of a harsh winter. grin

I'm quite a big fan of Hebes. Lots of varieties with interesting coloured margins and quite compact plants.
Have a look at www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Plant-trials-and-awards/Plant-awards/10-AGM-plants/10-AGM-shrubs-for-autumn-colour Most of these will need big containers though as they are all shrubs.

Or perhaps this is more like what you had in mind: www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/patiogarden_winterpots1.shtml

vmcd28 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:55:10

OOOh, nice, thanks v much indeed!
Oh, and I'm on a windy hill in Scotland. Harsh. Definitely harsh.

ComeIntoTheSinisterGardenMaud Mon 24-Oct-11 19:18:52

Callicarpa has fantastic violet berries.

Euonymus elatus is also gorgeous.

There is an article about autumn colour in the November issue of the Gardeners' World magazine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now