Talk

Advanced search

Mystery Plant

(14 Posts)
fastweb Sun 16-Oct-11 14:43:41

I've had this plant in my garden for three years ( grown from a bit of root somebody gave me) it is looking a it scruffy today, but late summer it is a fountain of deep pink flowers.

I would love to know what it is, I have taken cuttings to garden centres around here but nobody recognises it.

i call it the mad pink fountain but I'd rather have its proper name.

Any ideas what it could be?

Red2011 Mon 17-Oct-11 13:12:28

Wish I could help! Can you advise where you are geographically (Uk, elsewhere)? as that may help narrow it down a bit. Also, if you can get a nice close up zoom on the leaves and flowers that may help other garden 'experts' a little...

I don't recognise it from what I can see - it looks vaguely like a plant my MIL has in her garden, but it's much bigger with different coloured flowers. And I don't know what that is called either.

Really, I am not much help!!

fastweb Mon 17-Oct-11 13:26:29

I'll pop out and do some close ups.

The plant, and I, are in Northern Italy, just south of Milan. So boiling hot and humid in summer, freezing cold and nasty snow in winter.

Somebody thinking it reminds them of something is the closest to recognistion I have ever had, so you are helping grin

fastweb Mon 17-Oct-11 13:48:09

close up of unkown plant

SecretSquirrels Mon 17-Oct-11 14:06:03

The silvery leaves look a little like Eucalyptus and the shape and flower pattern remind me of a bottlebrush.
I clicked confidently expecting to know what it is but.....no sorry.

fastweb Mon 17-Oct-11 14:13:18

Ahh well, mad pink fountain plant will have to remain a mystery.

I really like it, looks totally bonkers when in flower, all hot pink with the stems fighting to get on top. And more importantly it is very unfussy, even I managed to grow it from a tiny clump of dried out roots.

EauRouge Mon 17-Oct-11 14:13:54

Is it some kind of shrimp plant maybe?

occasionalposter Mon 17-Oct-11 17:16:45

What time of year does it flower?

fastweb Tue 18-Oct-11 19:43:58

I think the shrimp plant is more "errect" wheras mine is very weepy, but there some similarities.

It flowers late summer early autumn, it's a mass of colour late August, really bright and pretty.

tiptoemum Sat 22-Oct-11 18:52:01

I reckon it is a Lespedeza, have a look on this website
www.headgardenerplants.co.uk/plant.asp?val=LESTHU
it might have some seedling variation but that's what I reckon!

fastweb Sat 22-Oct-11 20:00:55

tiptoemum

THAT's IT!

You star!

<does happy dance>

And how cool a name is that?

As fizzy as the plant is

Oh wow I am just so chuffed, it's been driving me mad never being able to tell people what it is.

You have made me grin

thanks

tiptoemum Sun 23-Oct-11 18:55:04

Not a problem, glad to help! We run a nursery and grow and sell alot of them, it is a great plant that we sell quite alot of. Enjoy it.

OneHandFlapping Mon 24-Oct-11 12:06:15

Tiptoe, it looks lovely. Is it hardy? When would it flower in the UK? I could do with a mad pink fountain round about now!

tiptoemum Mon 24-Oct-11 16:56:48

It flowers late summer into autumn and is beautiful. We live on the south coast and it is totally hardy here, but seems hardy further up country. As I said before try looking on this website for more info
www.headgardenerplants.co.uk/plant.asp?val=LESTHU
the website will list your local stockist if you want to buy one. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now