Talk

Advanced search

What is this flower?

(11 Posts)
whatatip Thu 13-Oct-11 20:46:06

Seen in France on the roadside this summer. Hopefully the photo will be on my profile, but it is the only thing on there so let me know if you can't see it.
Any ideas?

crispface Thu 13-Oct-11 20:46:49

Can't see it sorry. Don't think your profile is public.

peeriebear Thu 13-Oct-11 20:46:53

Can't see your profile smile

whatatip Fri 14-Oct-11 11:19:15

OK sorry, I have made my profile public now.

crispface Sun 16-Oct-11 07:58:25

I can't see the picture properly, - ae you talking about the tall pik and white flowers?

Judging from the leaves i'd say Lupins. though the ones in your pic look like they are on their way out..they normally have flowers all up the stems.

<disclaimer: I am not expert>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 16-Oct-11 16:54:41

They're not lupins. As far as I can see (the picture goes rather fuzzy when I magnify it) the pink and white flowers are cleome. They're easy to grow from seed but the seedlings are very attractive to slugs so you have to be ruthless in protecting them (the plants, not the slugs!).

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 16-Oct-11 16:59:50

More cleome info here. I love cleomes.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sun 16-Oct-11 17:00:29

Yup, agree, Cleome. The slugs ate every single one of mine down to the roots this year.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 16-Oct-11 17:03:02

::Expresses solidarity with oldenoughtowearpurple (great name, by the way)::

whatatip Sun 16-Oct-11 21:34:27

Thank you, Cleome it is. I have a snail/slug infested garden, so not sure I will grow it. I do like it though, and think the French municipal planting much nicer and more tasteful than what I am used to around here.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 16-Oct-11 21:39:51

It'll probably be fine if you buy bigger, tougher plants - it seems to be the seedlings which succumb (as with sunflowers, IME).

I love French municipal planting - first of all because there's so much of it (every roundabout seems to look like a Chelsea garden) and it's so imaginative. This year seemed to be a big year for gaura lindheimeri.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now