Talk

Advanced search

Some advice on having out tree felled

(7 Posts)
dipsymummy Fri 30-Sep-11 16:21:49

We have a huge oak tree in our very small garden which we want to fell/cut down. We had tree surgeons come and have a look and all ok. But after doing more research, it looks like there could be issues with heave(opposite of subsidence).
Its here that Im really not sure what to do. I need to get someone in to analys the soil etc as clay soil is BAD for what we want to do.
can anyone advise me on how to go about this ie who do I call in and if theres a procedure for this?

dipsymummy Fri 30-Sep-11 16:23:26

Am also posting this in another section as not quite sure where the best place to do this confused

LizzieMo Sun 02-Oct-11 09:51:22

I am not an expert, but I imagine that you would need to take it down in parts. You trim it back in the first year, this reduction will mean the roots take less water from the soil. Following year you take a bit more, and so on. This gives the soil time to adapt. Admittedly a bit of a long winded solution for you as it may take several years. I would speak to the tree surgeons again, they should be experts on this. (Assuming they are any good and not just after the money with no thought for the tree!!!)

dipsymummy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:16:16

I think thats what I'll end up doing. the tree surgeons are all accredited and agree that tree can be taken down.they all seem "sure" it will be fine cos never had problems before etc- but no one wants to give me any assurances in writing!

belledechocchipcookie Sun 02-Oct-11 23:19:01

You can't touch the tree until you've contacted the council and asked them if there's a tree preservation order on it. I've no idea how you'd remove it, I imagine remove the branches first as Lizzie says. Do check with the council first though, there's a whopping fine if you so much as trim it if it's protected.

dipsymummy Mon 03-Oct-11 17:21:54

I've checked with he council and there's no TPO on it and got them to confirm it in writing

belledechocchipcookie Mon 03-Oct-11 18:14:20

That's really good news. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now