Talk

Advanced search

Would like to plant an evergreen climber. Any ideas?

(9 Posts)
BupcakesandCunting Fri 30-Sep-11 12:00:07

The back wall of my kitchen is quite unsightly due to some pipework sticking out. I would like to plant a nice evergreen climber but I am a gardening thicko. Can any of you suggest anything?

Ideally I'd need it to be:

-fast-growing
-dense
-able to cling to brick well (I know ivy clings well but it ruins bricks. Is there anthing else that will cling as well?)

Thank you! smile

Hatwoman Fri 30-Sep-11 12:07:21

have you got space for a pyracantha? small white flowers in spring. red berries in autumn. stricly speaking not a climber - ie it doesn;t cling to the wall. if you can afford say 18" depth coming out from your wall it would be great. very attractive to birds too - we have one and we have loads of birds nesting in it. it's lovely

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

BupcakesandCunting Fri 30-Sep-11 12:10:49

Oh that sounds lovely (like the idea of it flowering then berries)

I have three spaces dug out for the climbers at the back of the house so I could plant three then hope that they spread across and meet so that it looks like one big plant?

mumblechum1 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:14:00

A jasmine? Jasminoides trachelospermum (sp?) is evergreen with fragrant white flowers.

mumblechum1 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:14:49

Youcan also get evergreen clematis. We have one with white flowers and dark green,long leaves but don't know what it's called. Very good at hiding drainpipes!

StopRainingPlease Fri 30-Sep-11 12:19:48

Agree about the jasmine, we have one and it's one of my favourites. Leaves get red tinges and the flowers smell wonderful. Not self-clinging though, you will need wires or a trellis to tie it to.

Pyracantha are lovely but very prickly, so it depends on whether you need to squeeze past the wall.

Blackpuddingbertha Fri 30-Sep-11 22:07:40

Is it this one mumble? I bought one and it promptly died but I kill all clematis so this was not a shock. Have seen great versions elsewhere though.

mumblechum1 Sat 01-Oct-11 07:43:39

No, it looks more like a white Montana but is evergreen.

btw OP if you're buying from Crocus there's a 20% discount code which I don't know as dh does all gardening but should be googleable.

BupcakesandCunting Sun 02-Oct-11 19:24:06

Thank you everyone for your suggestions smile

I'm just typing them all into the BBC plant finder now so that I can get an idea of spread etc.

I do love jasmine, btw. I am planting one under my living room window next weekend....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now