Talk

Advanced search

Orchard - what would you have?

(5 Posts)
GnomeDePlume Wed 28-Sep-11 17:27:47

If I get approval I will be getting an extra allotment plot. I plan to grow fruit trees on this.

I have room for about 16 trees. So, anyone got any suggestions?

vanillamum Wed 28-Sep-11 19:16:43

i know an allotment in Southend which has been planted on a heritage theme-there are about twenty trees all different ttraditional Essex varieties. We are having an apple day on 16th october so if you are near Southend in Essex it would be worth coming along.
foodforlife.org.uk/whatshappening/eventsandtraining/tabid/170/vw/3/itemid/215/d/20111016/apple-day.aspx

ProfYaffle Wed 28-Sep-11 19:19:06

I would plant greengages and quince because I like to grow stuff I can't easily find in the shops.

GeorgeEliot Wed 28-Sep-11 19:26:09

I have the following : A few different varieties of apple (fruiting at different times, so we have apples from august to december); pears, plums (2 different varieties), crab apple. I would also like to add a mulberry tree, quince and damson.

GnomeDePlume Thu 29-Sep-11 16:48:05

Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea of choosing local varieties. We are in the midlands so sadly cant make the apple day Vanillamum but thank you for the suggestion.

I agree with the idea of growing the stuff which isnt so easily available in shops. For this reason I dont grow carrots but do grow a lot of soft fruits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now