Talk

Advanced search

Tulip bulb dilemma - when to plant?

(5 Posts)
SugarSkyHigh Tue 27-Sep-11 09:47:44

Hope someone can help me here - I ordered a load of bulbs from a catalogue, including among other things, tulips. They all arrived a week ago. I've almost planted the daffodils, but I understand that tulips should not be planted until November. How do i store the tulip bulbs until November, bearing in mind that I keep reading that bulbs should be planted as soon after delivery as possible.

Basically what would be worse - to plant the tulip bulbs now (i.e., too early) or to store the bulbs for 4-6 weeks and risk them going "off" (or whatever bulbs do if not planted).

Thank you!

GeorgeEliot Wed 28-Sep-11 20:17:38

They will be fine to store for a few weeks, the reason you are not supposed to plant them out too early is to minimise the risk of tulip fire, but I forgot that and planted a load at the weekend. I also have others which stay in the ground all year round and always seem to come up fine every spring.

SugarSkyHigh Fri 30-Sep-11 11:50:59

thanks George - should i keep my bulbs stored in the dark til it's time to plant them?

GeorgeEliot Fri 30-Sep-11 17:57:10

ummmm not sure. I just keep mine in utility room, which is fairly cool, until I'm ready to plant.

SugarSkyHigh Sun 02-Oct-11 19:26:40

mine are in a hessian Tesco bag for life in the kitchen - not particularly cool there but fingers crossed. Thanks george smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now