Talk

Advanced search

peppers and chillis over-wintering???

(2 Posts)
cotswolder Thu 22-Sep-11 10:09:43

We put a raised bed in this year and planted some pepper and chilli plants (along with salad) - but probably rather too late in the season. They are looking great at the moment with some small peppers coming - I think they may be coming good too late however.

Some ignoramus questions however - how long into the autumn will they keep going, and is there any chance we can keep them going over winter? Is it worth trying, can I cover the frame in a blanket/insulation? or would we need to transfer to pots and bring inside? Or do I just throw them away on basis that frost will do its normal killing business?

Takver Thu 22-Sep-11 21:29:54

You can overwinter peppers & chillies - they are actually short lived perennials even though they're normally grown as annuals. It doesn't always work in the UK, but definitely worth a try. They would need to be indoors for sure unless they are in a heated greenhouse.

If you've ever overwintered geraniums, then basically treat them the same way - lift & pot up, then keep somewhere frost free & light but not too hot, and very little water until they start growing away in spring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now