Talk

Advanced search

tasty autumn fruiting raspberries

(6 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Mon 19-Sep-11 09:12:33

I am adding raspberries to our allotment next year, and prefer autumn fruiting for ease. I was just about to buy 12 Joan J when I read on one forum that after the first year they don't taste very good ("waxy" was the description). what variety(ies) have you grown and loved? I am thinking 12-15 canes, happy to do a bit of mix and match, say 5 each of 3 varieties, and while a heavy crop sounds nice, I am most interested in something tasty.

SybilBeddows Mon 19-Sep-11 09:14:24

Mine are Autumn Bliss, though they've actually been fruiting prolifically since early July this year (in Yorkshire!)
I've had them about 3 years, this is the first year I've had a really good crop, and the taste is still lovely.

valerian Mon 19-Sep-11 09:18:30

Mine are Autumn Bliss, too; they are very tasty and prolific. Easy to care for, too.

I'm hoping they will spread, which I understand raspberries do.

SybilBeddows Mon 19-Sep-11 09:19:36

Mine have spread Valerian - I have more canes now than I planted smile

valerian Mon 19-Sep-11 09:28:09

Great, thanks - that's what I'm hoping for. A small forest of Autumn Bliss at the bottom of the garden wouldn't go amiss. smile

MamaChocoholic Wed 21-Sep-11 10:40:03

this plus a bit more internet searching means I think I will go for 5 each of Joan J, Autumn Bliss and Autumn <something else, which temporarily escapes me>. thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now