Talk

Advanced search

instructions for children about strawberry plant care...

(6 Posts)
linspins Thu 15-Sep-11 14:13:45

Hello! I have potted up lots of strawberry runners, for my Dd to give out as 'party bags' at her 5th birthday. I want to put a label on them to tell the children(parents) what to do with them....except I don't really know! Should they be planted out this autumn? or kept in the pot until spring? Any other advice? Cheers!

EauRouge Thu 15-Sep-11 19:27:20

That's a great idea! <steals it> I would say plant them fairly soon so that they've got chance to put some roots down before the winter.

linspins Fri 16-Sep-11 13:00:58

Thanks Eaurouge. Am having a strawberry themed party, with bracelet making, a story-telling session, photo frame decorating (thanks ikea for cheap frames!) and strawberry cakes. Then the plant to take home.

Anyone else got any strawberry planting tips?

doozle Fri 16-Sep-11 20:53:12

Yes they should be planted out late summer/early autumn. They need to develop a good root system before next spring and will then produce a small but decent first crop in the summer.

doozle Fri 16-Sep-11 20:55:28

Forgot to say, strawberries love rich soil so add lots of compost when planting out.

Next late spring they also a liquid feed of tomorite to make them produce lots of flowers, and then in turn, fruit.

linspins Sat 17-Sep-11 10:24:13

Cheers!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now