Talk

Advanced search

Gardening websites to tell me what to do?

(12 Posts)
Camerondiazepam Sun 11-Sep-11 10:16:33

I'm a clueless novice gardener and am looking for a website that is going to tell me weekly what I need to do to my lawn, veg, trees etc. Does anyone have any recommendations at all?
TIA

Camerondiazepam Sun 11-Sep-11 14:01:22

Bumping in hope...

inmysparetime Sun 11-Sep-11 19:24:49

RHS "grow your own" app is free and tells you what to do to grow fruit and veg. I think the paid one covers flowers and shrubs too.
Try the gardeners world website (BBC tv)

purpleturtle Sun 11-Sep-11 19:34:10

Somebody on here recommended the Gardeners World website to me - looks pretty good.

Camerondiazepam Sun 11-Sep-11 19:56:16

Thanks for replying, will check 'em out.
I was thinking "blimey, it's quiet here, obviously no-one comes to Gardening" and then I realised that, as it's the weekend, people who might come here were probably, well, gardening. blush [fick emoticon here]

crumbletastic Sun 11-Sep-11 20:01:38

I'm now stalking this thread as my first ever summer attempt at growing did not go well at all. I pretty much just picked a few packets of seeds from the pics of flowers on the front but I don't know what went worng as hardly any of the flowers bloomed confused I need a basics guide!

inmysparetime Sun 11-Sep-11 20:12:23

I find a combination of cheapy annual small plants, bigger plants from friends and liberally applied seeds keeps my garden in flower most of the year. Teasels have nice flower heads for winter but do nothing first year so don't be disheartened when it looks like nothing first season.
Nigella (love-in-a-mist) is great for easy care ground cover, sprinkle seeds on the soil in spring and they pop up easily, flower heads last all winter too.
Alpine strawberries cover ground, self-sucker, look pretty and crop twice in the summer.

oldenoughtowearpurple Sun 11-Sep-11 20:22:35

I would say you'd be better off with Gardener's World magazine or similar - they will tell you what to do each month, lots of lovely pictures for inspiration and so forth. And watch the telly too (Monty Don .....mmmmm.....)

Camerondiazepam Sun 11-Sep-11 22:28:21

Am v happy with the Gardeners' World website as they have told me I don't have to do anything this week - hurrah!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 12-Sep-11 17:13:21

The best site is the Royal Horticultural Society, especially its jobs to do now pages. The GW one is also good.

There are quite a few fanatical keen gardeners here so feel free to start threads for specific questions or queries.

Camerondiazepam Mon 12-Sep-11 21:14:42

Thanks Maud, it's going to make me Do More but I think that's probably a good thing. Will be here more often ongoing I think though!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 13-Sep-11 10:06:24

You're preaching to the converted here! I can always find more to do in the garden especially if it means I can avoid housework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now