Talk

Advanced search

Argh! QUICK! Cactus EMERGENCY!! Stat.

(14 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Wed 07-Sep-11 15:16:02

<Clueless wail>

WHY is my beautiful, 2 foot tall, upstanding, impressive cactus lying down?

Yesterday he was standing up straight and proud.

Today he appears to be having a nap.

Too much water or not enough?

I haven't changed anything. I would have thought not enough water (logically, I mean, so not enough to keep it upright) but the earth feels slightly damp.

HELP.

HerbWoman Fri 09-Sep-11 11:54:13

Maybe too much water and it is starting to rot? Or has someone accidentally knocked it/footballed it etc?

allhailtheaubergine Fri 09-Sep-11 14:07:15

Thank you THANK you for replying.

I have been giving it the silent treatment since posting. I shall neglect it yet further for a couple of days and see what happens.

HerbWoman Fri 09-Sep-11 19:33:23

If it is rotting I don't think it is likely to recover, I'm afraid sad

inmysparetime Sun 11-Sep-11 19:29:21

If it looks manky at the bottom, but ok at the top, cut off the top just above the manky bit and leave the cut to dry up for a week or so, then plant it about an inch deep in fairly dry soil. It will usually grow back fine.

allhailtheaubergine Mon 12-Sep-11 05:16:02

Oh, I will do that and see how it goes. Thank you.

Darnsarfupnorf Mon 12-Sep-11 05:18:58

i have no idea but i loled at 'cactus emergency'! thankyou smile

allhailtheaubergine Mon 12-Sep-11 05:30:42

It's not a lolling matter Darn. This cactus's LIFE is in the balance. Anyway, I have just chopped its head off about an inch into the healthy part and stuck it in some sandy soil. Fingers crossed everyone.

Thumbwitch Mon 12-Sep-11 05:33:24

allhail, weren't you supposed to leave the cut to dry for a week before planting it again??

inmysparetime Mon 12-Sep-11 06:13:20

You really need to let the cut dry or the bottom of that bit will go manky too. Pop it back out of the soil and just leave it next to the pot to dry.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 13-Sep-11 18:29:55

This is why all my plants die, y'see? I didn't let it dry out and now it's just a sad bit of stalk in a pot.

Also because I am taking the advice you are giving me for my huge and drooping cactus, and applying it to my dying alien succulent.

I'm too impatient for gardening.

Shall I hoik the alien stalk out of the pot then?

I could put photos on my profile if it would help?

inmysparetime Tue 13-Sep-11 18:35:41

Please hoick the alien stalk out of the soil and let it dry out. The cut has to callus over before it goes in the soil, then the cactus will be ready to grow new roots from the healed cut surface. Give it a week to dry. We can save itgrin have hope!wink

allhailtheaubergine Thu 15-Sep-11 05:16:40

Oh dear.

I took the stalk out of the pot and put it on a sill to callus. My cleaner came yesterday afternoon and threw it away.

The end.

sad

inmysparetime Thu 15-Sep-11 07:35:54

Oh well, at least you'll know what to do if it happens again to you or a friend. I feel sad for the cactus thoughsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now