Talk

Advanced search

beetroot urgent help

(5 Posts)
toody Sun 04-Sep-11 17:16:47

I have large amount of home grown beetroot, I have pickled one lot but when we tried it the vinegar was very strong overpowered the taste of the beetroot. I have so much more I want to pickle anyone any advise/help. With the first lot I used Sarsons ready to use pickling vinegar.

Takver Sun 04-Sep-11 20:15:00

Two things: I always pickle beetroot in cider vinegar (you can buy 5l containers not too expensively)

Also, IMO beetroot is much better pickled and used within 2-3 weeks otherwise it gets too pickly as you say. We store our beetroot in boxes of sawdust over the winter & just take it out & cook when we want some - it keeps fine til the spring in the garage (though by Jan or so its a bit soft to grate into salads raw which is the other way we eat it).

mrspnut Sun 04-Sep-11 20:16:28

Send some to me - I adore beetroot and am always happy to take offerings. I roast beetroot a lot and then eat it with sausages along with roasted carrots and sweet potato.

radiohelen Sun 18-Sep-11 15:27:28

I've got that candy stripe beetroot. It's very disappointing stuff. If you boil or roast it, it goes pink. If you slice it thinly it's pretty but there's not much taste there. I'll be donating my seeds next year in favour of some golden ones.
I've got lots though - I'll be looking for ways to store it that doesn't involve pickling. It's too pickly for me... I fear I may drown under chutney this year.

TeeBee Wed 21-Sep-11 13:57:12

Can you make soup and freeze it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now