Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your favourite tree

(14 Posts)
SarfEasticated Thu 01-Sep-11 08:44:40

if you could only have one kind of tree in your garden what would it be?

I think we have space for one tree and I am hoping you'll suggest one that gives fruit, has beautiful blossom and is good for wildlife... <crosses fingers>

Seepage Thu 01-Sep-11 08:50:35

My favourite tree in my garden is a magnolia Grandiflora. No fruit but the most delicious smelling flowers

most useful would be an apple.

SarfEasticated Thu 01-Sep-11 09:30:38

Gorgeous seepage - two words I have never used together before!

Seepage Thu 01-Sep-11 10:23:46

mine has loads of flowers this year - you can smell them coming down the path, mixed with the lavender.

NorksAreMessy Thu 01-Sep-11 11:35:52

oooh, GREENGAGE. they look nothing special, just generically fruity, but the fruit is absolutely gorgeous (I gorged, then made jam to gorge later)

we are renting our house and I know that I will have to plant a greengage in the house we buy.

Pleiades45 Thu 01-Sep-11 15:28:37

I have 4 favourites:

Magnolia soulageana - white flower - needs a sheltered spot or the flowers fall off - also funny about soil type
Weeping Japanese Maple (can be kept in a pot)
Weeping Cherry Tree - no fruit
Buddleia - loved by butterflies and bees - purple is the most common colour but think you can get white and pink too

I think they are all spectacular and wouldn't be able to choose between them.

CroissantNeuf Thu 01-Sep-11 15:47:54

I love apple trees and have recently planted 2 to replace the last one which we lost due to a combination of disease and a mini-digger.

survivingsummer Fri 02-Sep-11 11:04:33

I planted a Robinia Pseudoaccacia last year and I absolutely love it! It has been just beautiful all year around and lights up my small garden no end. A bit brittle in the wind and no fruit but otherwise, perfect.

Would love a Magnolia but we have very alkaline soil so is a no no is our garden..

echt Sat 03-Sep-11 21:34:19

Mine is a lemon-scented gum, a metre-high baby right now. It'll be 60+ feet high eventually, with most delicious lemon smell in the heat.

It's not near the house or any neighbours', unless they knock down the lovely old houses and build monstrosities which cover every square foot of the plot, in which they will not be pleased.

fivegomadindorset Sat 03-Sep-11 21:35:13

Labernum is the only tree I have planted but would love a magnolia.

flybynight Sun 04-Sep-11 12:05:09

Flowering dogwoods are a real thing of beauty. The white bracts are feature for months.

I do love our quetsche plum though. It is quite tall and elegant (unlike our sprawling apple trees) self-fertile and it is having its first real crop this year. It is absolutely laden! I shall be jam making soon.

serin Mon 05-Sep-11 22:18:41

Victoria plum or a greengage.

Bramley apple most useful and fruitful.

SarfEasticated Mon 05-Sep-11 22:31:01

mmmmm - plums smile i have a vic plum, apple, quince and crab apple, and the plum is my absolute fave. is it good for wildlife though? was wondering about a may tree... meant to be good for birds and insects...

bumperella Tue 06-Sep-11 13:51:55

Weeping cotoneaster. Grows to about 7or 8ft, covered in shiny red berries from autumn to late winter, blackbirds love it, loses it's leaves in Feb (the new ones coming in push the old ones out), white blossom in May (flowers aren't that great, but lots of them and attract LOADS of hoverflies, bumble bees, etc etc). It's not exciting in the height of summer - but is a nice green background to everything else.
Or hawthorn - one called Pauls Scarlet. Pink blossom, then lots of haws.
Or crab apples - lots of blossom, then lots of crab apples.
Or....
These are all pretty small so should fit. I would loove a flowering dogwood, but I think they get quite big? Or do they grow slowly /not mind being pruned?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now