Talk

Advanced search

Shall I get a greenhouse?!

(3 Posts)
beanandspud Thu 25-Aug-11 13:47:51

Maybe it's a sign of getting old but I created a vegetable plot last year and for the first time in ages I am really, really enjoying the garden.

We have had raspberries, courgettes, rhubarb, tomatoes, peas, bean and lettuce so far and I've just planted kale, broccoli and brussels for the winter.

But now I'm thinking I would like a greenhouse... It would have to be polycarb (small boys and footballs) and probably not much bigger than 4'x6'. The space I have in mind is close to the house, fairly light but not much direct sun.

Already I'm dreaming of chillies, aubergines, more tomatoes, peppers...

So, do I go for it? What else should I consider? What haven't I thought of? What else can I grow in it?

Takver Thu 25-Aug-11 14:55:17

I would say a greenhouse is fantastic - not just for the summer crops that you've mentioned, but also for winter salads (easy to grow them right through).

BUT I think it really would need to get direct sun for most of the day - 'fairly light' won't cut it either for the toms, peppers et al, or indeed for winter salads (since the light levels are so much less in winter).

bumperella Tue 06-Sep-11 14:28:48

I agree - also, polycarb doesn't transmit as much light as glass after a couple of years. Is there realyl nowhere else? Get your kids adopted and have a glass one in the middle of their football area maybe...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now