Talk

Advanced search

Something big and tall

(9 Posts)
PizzaEmpress Wed 24-Aug-11 14:38:24

I'm selling (trying!) my house. So far the feedback has been good house, big garden, but too over-ooked.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can grown that will quickly add privacy along fences to cover the end of four people's gardens? I guess it's about 80 - 90ft? I'm worried that this may seem anti-social, so perhaps something that will allow more privacy but not block out the light totally (if this is possible)?

Thanks very much! smile

PizzaEmpress Wed 24-Aug-11 14:43:34

Over-*l*ooked - sorry!

survivingsummer Wed 24-Aug-11 20:09:47

I'm guessing the answer would be climbers on a trellis of which there are lots of fast growing ones. Does it need to be evergreen? Clematis Armandii is fast growing and evergreen but montanas, russian vine, virginia creepers are rampant although not evergreen. Not sure how much growth you'll get with anything from now until next year though confused

You could plant a mix of deciduous and evergreen shrubs for interest if you have space. I have cherry laurel and photinas alongside a few deciduous trees for height to help combat my privacy problem in the garden although it will take a few years to establish a good screen.

If you have the money, Barchams Trees do raised privacy screens which are instant hedges but pricey www.barcham.co.uk/trees-for-a-purpose/raised-hedging

echt Thu 25-Aug-11 07:56:23

Two non-invasive bamboos are China Gold - lovely yellow stems, and Bambusa Gracilis.

They'd better be bloody good as we've planted these to screen us from the same problem.grin

MissHonkover Mon 05-Sep-11 19:54:00

When you say 'non invasive' echt, would it be OK to plant either of those without them being contained in a pot? I need to screen too, but after a rampaging apple mint experience, bamboo gives me The Fear.

survivingsummer Mon 05-Sep-11 20:30:34

You can plant a root barrier in the soil to prevent bamboo from spreading MissHonkover. However, with some bamboo where there is a will, there's a way!

MissHonkover Tue 06-Sep-11 07:21:29

Do they only spread via their roots? They're not self-seeding, are they? So I could stay on the safe side and keep them in a pot?

echt Tue 06-Sep-11 11:15:47

I've seen the four year-old plants and they don't go bonkers. The chap I buy from in Melbourne sells nothing BUT bamboo and is rigorous about his descriptions of their growing habits. You get to see how they'll look in 4 and 10 years' time.

Don't know if these particular cultivars are available in the UK, but, on the whole, if you can get it in Oz, you can get anywhere, as they're red-hot on invasive, weed-like plants over here.

bumperella Tue 06-Sep-11 13:35:32

Akebia Quintata (chocolate vine) is really fast growing, reasonably pretty, smells nice, and will do well in any aspect - sun or part-shade. It's only meant to be half-hardy, but I live in central scotland and had temps well below -15C last twi winters, and it's still fine. It seems to hold onto its leaves to about -10C, so nearly evergreen! But I guess it's unlikely to do much growing before next spring.
Attach trellis to the top of fence anyway will help screen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now