Talk

Advanced search

Veggie Garden help

(4 Posts)
WannabeNigella Sun 21-Aug-11 14:31:57

Hi,
We spent far too much money in the Spring building a raised veggie garden. Something DH wanted for years and we finally did it. Far too eager, he planted everything at once and not the right stuff. (Half the patch devoted to various chilli's and onions!) We have had some sweetcorn which was great, chard and tomatoes too and some little gems and broccoli.

However, now everything has died off at a similar time and we want to plant more but wanted to go with plants rather than seeds as we didn't have that much luck with the stuff we planted from seed, but all our local garden centres have nothing. In the Spring there was loads to choose from but now nothing.

Where do you get your little plants from? We're looking for root veggies, carrots, that sort of thing. Is there anywhere online?

Thanks

Pkam Sun 21-Aug-11 20:22:26

Look online. I use Dobies but there are others, like Unwins that do veggie plants. This time of year you'd be looking at things like broccoli, cabbage, curly kale etc. There are things you can put in as seed around now, like winter radish, which are roots, but it's a bit late for most other root veggies.

WannabeNigella Sun 21-Aug-11 21:06:41

Thaks Pkam. Will take a look.

inmysparetime Tue 23-Aug-11 07:03:25

You won't find small plants of root vegetables as transplanting them understandably stresses the root and you end up with weird looking veg. You may be able to find chillies, strawberry plants etc. And soon you'll be able to get raspberry canes and fruit trees. For future years success, try making a plan for the year's planting. RHS has a free app, and the library will have a lot of books about successional planting.
I use a spare calendar to remind me what to plant when through the year, so I never have to spend more than 20 minutes a week planting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now