Talk

Advanced search

House warming gift instead of flowers a plant... soil in Wiltshire?

(7 Posts)
MayDayChild Thu 18-Aug-11 20:44:15

So buying a friend a plant instead of a bunch of flowers. Housewarming gift for a new build so fairly bare but owners not big gardeners.

So a hardy pretty flowering plant preferably currently in flower looking pretty...

What's the soil like in Wiltshire for lavender, hydrangea and all other suggestions. ???

Kladdkaka Fri 19-Aug-11 10:04:26

I seem to recall Wiltshire being very chalky.

bluecheesefiend Fri 19-Aug-11 10:05:46

I wouldn't know about soil but you could go for a potted plant or a hanging basket?

Kladdkaka Fri 19-Aug-11 10:11:00

It's the part of the country with all the chalk carvings on the sides of hills, methinks.

Bettymum Wed 24-Aug-11 15:39:10

How about a Choisya Aztec Pearl? Evergreen, pretty leaves, lovely white flowers in the spring and late summer (mine has a few flowers on it now, I'm on very edge of east Wilts), and fairly tough. Can be clipped or left to grow into quite a big, attractive shrub. Should be easy to find at garden centres.

YougreatPamplemousse Wed 24-Aug-11 15:42:57

Yes it is the place of chalk carvings but off the plain our soil is quite clayish. We have a magnolia, lilac and buddlia growing really well in our garden, none of which need much maintenance.

MayDayChild Wed 24-Aug-11 19:25:58

Sounds like Kent then where I am so not so tough afterall. Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now