Talk

Advanced search

Help me plan my autumn/winter/spring vegetable garden please!

(9 Posts)
MaggieW Mon 08-Aug-11 10:14:25

For various reasons I haven't done much on my allotment this year - although am enjoying a fine crop of potatoes, raspberries and plums. However, I am determined to get the most out of it over winter and spring but am not sure what to plant and when. Any help/ideas very gratefully received! TIA.

HarrietJones Mon 08-Aug-11 15:45:34

We are putting leeks in now inthe garden. We've just got the allotment so it's not ready yet so will watch for ideas over the next couple of months!

NingNang Mon 08-Aug-11 16:12:51

You could maybe get some carrots going for over winter if you're quick. It's a good time to plant strawberries for next year. It's supposed to be a good time for chinese cabbage.

This site is quite good

Or here they have a good forum for advice

Pkam Mon 08-Aug-11 16:34:32

I'm about to plant out curly kale and sow some cabbage and mooli seeds.

GnomeDePlume Wed 10-Aug-11 18:16:18

I have just put second crop potatoes in. Other things to go in in the autumn:

- shallots
- garlic
- Japanese onions

You could also look at green manure and if allowed put some flower bulbs in for cut flowers in the spring.

doozle Thu 18-Aug-11 23:33:01

Have a look at Delfland nurseries. They're an online plant company and have plants to send out in August, Sept and so on.

I find it a quick easy way to get stuff in the ground.

I'm considering some cauliflower and kale which are apparently good to go in now.

doozle Thu 18-Aug-11 23:35:30

Also onions and garlic can be planted late Oct/Nov.

ellangirl Wed 24-Aug-11 17:49:07

right now i'm planting swiss chard 'rainbow lights' because it looks nice! also trying pak choi. Also planting more of my ongoing things- radishes, spring onions, cut and come again salad, carrots and spinach. I don't expect it to be frosty here much before christmas though.

keynesian Thu 25-Aug-11 09:43:28

Thank you doozle for the tip about Delfland Nurseries. They look just what I need. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now